How to book
- Clients are advised to discuss their requirements with an Official Hospitality Sales Agent prior to booking (see List of Agents).
- Clients wishing to purchase a Suite Package are specifically requested to contact an Agent prior to booking.
- After contact with an Official Hospitality Sales Agent, the Agent will send the client a booking form. Alternatively, a form for Dining Packages only can be downloaded here.
- The client should complete as much of the Booking Form as possible, ensuring they have supplied sufficient contact details, clearly identified the package(s) that they wish to book, the number of guests and the amount, and signed the form. UNSIGNED FORMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- The completed and signed form should now be faxed, emailed or posted back to your Official Hospitality Sales Agent, or sent direct to Windies Cricket Hospitality (see contact us).
- If you have chosen to pay at the time of booking, you will be sent booking confirmation and a receipt.
- Alternatively, you will be sent an invoice by email or post. You will have 14 days to pay this invoice or your booking may be cancelled.
- If you are booking on or before 31st October 2009, you will be required to pay a deposit of 40% of the total booking amount. You will then be invoiced for the remaining 60% of the total booking amount on 1st November 2009.
- If you are booking on or after 1st November 2009, you will be required to pay 100% of the total booking amount.
- A booking cannot be guaranteed until payment has been received.
- Further information regarding the program will be sent when it is available. Tickets and Match Packs will be distributed in March/April 2010
Official Agents are in the following regions:
If we have answered all your questions, you can book the Century Dining Package directly by downloading the booking form below.